We are delighted to organise a Symposium on 29-30th June 2021 as part of a long-running tradition founded by prof. J.K. Pachos. This edition is focused on the interplay between quantum matter and gravity. The Symposia creates an active environment for open discussion as well as encourage new collaborations.
Finding the effective description of quantum matter in terms of quantum field theories and geometric models provides an elegant way to understand their properties and predict their universal behaviour. Within the general formalism of gravity several quantum systems such as Dirac materials, Hofstadter models, fractional quantum Hall states, etc., admit a geometric description in their low energy sector.
Moreover, ideas and methods inspired by quantum matter, such as geometric phases, entanglement and decoherence have been recently applied to gravity.
The Symposium will bring together experts in the fields of gravity and condensed matter with the aim to investigate various bridges between these two fields of research.
To register to attend please send an email to Matthew Horner: email@example.com.
- Flaminia Giacomini (Perimeter Institute, Canada)
- Omri Golan (QEDMA Quantum Computing, Israel)
- Andrey Gromov (Brown University, USA)
- Chiara Marletto (University of Oxford, UK)
- Nathan Moynihan (University of Edinburgh, UK)
- Dung Xuan Nguyen (Brown University, USA)
- Marius Oancea (Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics, Germany)
- Francisco Pena-Benitez (Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems, Germany)
- Yuji Sugimoto (University of Science and Technology of China, China)
- 1:00pm-1:35pm – Francisco Peña-Benitez
- 1:35pm-2:10pm – Omri Golan
- 15 min break
- 2:25pm-3:00pm – Chiara Marletto
- 3:00pm-3:35pm – Andrey Gromov
- 3:35pm-4:10pm – Dung Xuan Nguyen
- 4:10pm onwards for discussions
- 1:00pm-1:35pm -Yuji Sugimoto
- 1:35pm-2:10pm – Marius Oancea
- 15 min break
- 2:25pm-3:00pm – Nathan Moynihan
- 3:00pm-3:35pm – Flaminia Giacomini
- 3:35pm onwards for discussions and poster session
Abstracts for the talks can be found here
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the symposium will be hosted via Zoom.
Dr Giandomenico Palumbo
Dr Patricio Salgado-Rebolledo
Dr Zlatko Papic
Prof Jiannis K. Pachos
The artist Costas Evangelatos will exhibit his paintings during the poster session of the Symposium. His paintings combine art and science on various levels.